Thursday, May 29, 2014

Some Books To Read

Sometimes you have to put down the pen and actually take the time to open up a book. Many writers will do this from time to time especially when they are experiencing extreme writers block. So that is what I have done. I have put down my pen and decided that once again I need to read a few things. Maybe in reading I can get my characters talking to me again. The problem that I am now facing is that some of the books that I am reading are not books that I would normally recommend.
Series Books
I am one of those that enjoy reading a series of books.  Whether they are about a group of people or they are about a certain couple. So when I was browsing online I was introduced to one series by Mimi Strong. I know there are plenty of people who will read this series and fall in love with the wit and charm of the lovely if not chubby bookstore clerk. Unfortunately I am still stuck on the first book and can't seem to make it past anything. I am all for women's empowerment. I believe that all women are beautiful in their own way so this should in no way seem like that is an issue I have.
Ms. Strong's writing is witty but it is also a little too drawn out. The under confidence of the main character Peaches is touching but confusing when she is also extremely confident in her own skin. The fact that this a grown woman who is making puns like letting her "peaches" out. Though it could be seen a playful after trying to drag myself through the first book I am once again reminded that sometimes a character is just a character. There's something to be said about a strong woman but something to be said also about your leading man and in this case he is not a leading man. More of a boy who is playing in his fathers shoes. Again I am sure that as the series goes on it's one that will get better but as long as the first book is going it's not a keeper.
You want a good book series to read? Something that can make you giggle and make you feel the passion come alive? Well take a look at the Billionaires Boys Club by Jessica Clare or The Marked Men series by Jay Crownover, This is one of my favorite series so far. Below is where this series begins. I'll be posting more as we continue. And I'll be giving some sneak peaks of the next book I'm working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment